How tedious America would be without the barbecues, and how dull the barbeque parties would be without the BBQ rubs to bring out the aromatic smell of the spice blended with the sweetness of the meat above embers.
BBQ rubs are any mixtures of ground spices to be rubbed on raw food before the food is cooked. When forming a coating on the food, BBQ rubs create an outer layer of rich aroma that wraps around the soft and naturally sweet flesh inside, making it even the most selective people can not refuse.
What makes BBQ rubs dubbed the secret weapon of the barbeque to help you master the culinary game? The details in this article will reveal everything you care about BBQ rubs.
- Why BBQ Rubs?
- Main Components of a BBQ Rub
- Common Types of BBQ Rubs
- How to Apply a Dry BBQ Rub?
- Here Are The Best BBQ Rubs:
- BBQ Rubs Comparison Chart
- Top 15 Best BBQ Rubs Reviews 2020
- 1. Killer Hogs 12-ounce BBQ Rub
- 2. Bad Byron’s Butt Rub 26-ounce Seasoning BBQ Rub
- 3. McCormick Grill Mates 29-ounce Montreal Steak Seasoning BBQ Rub
- 4. Pork Barrel BBQ 22-ounce BBQ Rub
- 5. NOMU 50-gram BBQ Rub
- 6. Traeger SPC170 90-ounce Chicken BBQ Rub
- 7. John Henry’s Texas 11-ounce Brisket BBQ Rub
- 8. Pappy’s Choice Prime Rib Rub 24-ounce BBQ Rub
- 9. A Cajun Life 8-ounce Seafood BBQ Rub
- 10. Bone Suckin’ Sauce 5.8-ounce BBQ Rub
- 11. Slap Yo Daddy 26-ounce BBQ Rub
- 12. Flavor God 4-ounce BBQ Rub
- 13. Lambert’s Sweet Rub O’ Mine 12.5-ounce BBQ Rub
- 14. Trader Joe’s 3.5-ounce BBQ Rub
- 15. BBQ Bros Rubs 10-ounce BBQ Rubs
- Best BBQ Rubs Buying Guide
- Which Brands of BBQ Rubs Are The Best?
- My Top Pick
Why BBQ Rubs?
BBQ rubs are great for enhancing the flavor of meat dishes. It is no exaggeration to say that BBQ rubs are places where people are free to experiment with new ideas and have the ability to drive people crazy to their grill.
Of course, you can make your BBQ rubs without the stress of being able to fail. Still, the wide selection of BBQ rubs available out there will save you a lot of time, from choosing ingredients with unfamiliar names to making rubs with reasonable proportions.
- Top 15 Best 6 Burner Gas Grills Reviews in 2020
- Top 15 Best Charcoal Smokers To Buy in 2020
- Top 15 Best Firewood Racks Reviews 2020
- Top 15 Best Propane Gas Grills Under $300 in 2020
- Top 15 Best Tailgating Grills To Buy in 2020
- Top 15 Best Outdoor Grills To Buy in 2020
- Top 15 Best George Foreman Grills To Buy in 2020
- Top 15 Best BBQ Rubs To Buy in 2020
Moreover, the BBQ rubs products on the market, which are processed with adequate ingredients and consistent quality, have convinced professional grilling chefs and connoisseurs. Therefore, there is no reason that you do not use these products for the next barbeque.
Main Components of a BBQ Rub
With the skillful hands of the cook, you can make your BBQ rubs at home, although many people always claim that homemade products are not as consistent as many types of rubs available on the market.
Whether you make your own or purchase a ready-made product, BBQ rubs have the following basic ingredients:
Salt: Salt is an essential ingredient of a BBQ rub, and a reasonable amount of salt will greatly enhance the flavor of food. Commonly used salts are sea salt, table salt, kosher salt.
Sugar: Sugar ingredient also helps to add flavor to the meat. Raw, refined, and brown sugar are all used in making BBQ rubs.
Pepper: Ground white or black pepper is a vital ingredient to complete any BBQ rubs. Chipotle pepper can also be used to increase the spiciness.
Paprika: Paprika is used in BBQ rubs to bring texture and intense flavor for the smoked items, especially beef. Paprika also brings a beautiful color to your grilling.
Onion and Garlic: Dehydrated, flaked, powdered onions, and garlic will enhance the meat’s flavor right after being rubbed.
Each brand or style of BBQ rubs will have several other ingredients with variable proportions to create the most unique and effective product.
Common Types of BBQ Rubs
BBQ rubs are known by many as the secret weapon of a delicious grilling. However, there are many BBQ rubs made and sold in stores, and it is not difficult for you to buy kinds of rubs to improve your barbeque to a new level.
The classification of BBQ rubs can be based on many different criteria:
In Term of Water Storage: BBQ rubs can be divided into dry and wet rubs.
- Dry Rub: Dry rub is manufactured and sold more widely. A dry rub is a mixture of kinds of spices and dried herbs to be rubbed directly into the meat before grilling. The juices of the meat and the rub will mix to enhance the natural flavor of the meat;
- Wet Rub: A wet rub is similar to a paste, which is added with some oil or various kinds of sauces to the mix of seasonings. You can also make a wet rub by mixing a dry rub with an equal amount of oil, apple cider vinegar, apple cider, mustard, and then applying it directly to the meat.
In Term of Style: There are four main traditional styles of BBQ, and all four represent a portion of the Midwest and South areas:
- Texas-style dry rub using chili powder, brown sugar, cayenne, and other spices to give you a sweet with a little heat type of BBQ rub, great for smoked barbecue pulled chicken.
- Memphis and Tennessee style BBQ aim toward a more sweet flavor, mixing a bunch of different tangy or savory flavors. They are all about the ribs and come coated with either a wet or dry rub.
- Kansas City-style is known for smoked meat dipping in a thick and sweet sauce that is flavored with tomatoes and molasses.
- Carolina BBQ style is usually pork and can be rubbed with a spice mixture before smoking and mopped with a spice and vinegar liquid during smoking.
In addition to four major styles commonly referenced above, many other states have developed their own style of BBQ rubs. These include New Orleans, Alabama, California, Hawaii, and St. Louis. These styles are mainly influenced by the nearby traditional style.
In Term of Key Ingredient: Types of rubs can be divided into several categories, such as all-purpose rubs, all-rounder rubs, rubs for smoking, rubs for beef, rubs for lamb, rubs for chicken.
How to Apply a Dry BBQ Rub?
Knowing how to apply a rub is just as important as finding your perfect BBQ rub. Dry rubs are the most common type on the market, and the good news is that applying a dry rub is quite simple for everyone. Here are the steps:
- Coating both sides with a little olive oil to help the rub spices stick to the meat;
- Use the “wet hand, dry hand” method: one hand to sprinkle the rub and the other to handle the meat to avoid cross-contamination. You can use a latex glove if desired;
- Use a kneading-type motion to massage the piece of meat and help the rubs come into the meat better;
You can also rough up the meat surface slightly, and then there will be more surface area to grab and hold flavor from the rub.
The cooking experience will tell you which technique and quantity are best for you. While applying rubs is often hailed as an art, that does not mean you cannot adjust or feel free. A few tips below will help you be more successful with BBQ rubs:
Steak: First, marinate the steak and then apply the rub;
Pork: Use the rub before and during grilling. First, rub the meat as much as possible. Then, when the pork is not yet 100% cooked, add a little more rub;
Chicken or Turkey: First rinse the chicken and pat it until almost dry. Then cover rubs with whole chicken or pieces of chicken;
Fish or Shrimp: Use a big pot and dip shrimp or fish into the bowl for coating with the rub or just sprinkle the rub on them.
This short video will show you how easy applying a BBQ rub is:
Here Are The Best BBQ Rubs:
The list of products below is categorized based on their outstanding features so you can quickly find and access information about the type of BBQ rubs you are looking for.
- Best Overall: Killer Hogs 12-ounce BBQ Rub
“Creates beautiful colors for meat pieces and builds a beautiful, mahogany bark outside.”
- Best for Budget: Bad Byron’s Butt Rub 26-ounce Seasoning BBQ Rub
“A perfect blend of all the spices you need for any meat and a great Keto diet seasoning.”
- Best for Steak: McCormick Grill Mates 29-ounce Montreal Steak Seasoning BBQ Rub
“Delivers high-quality spices to add an extra kick for steaks and other meats.”
- Best for Pork: Pork Barrel BBQ 22-ounce BBQ Rub
“Provides slow-cooked flavors in pork and other meats as traditional barbecue.”
- Best for Lamb: NOMU 50-gram BBQ Rub
“Main ingredients including rosemary, mustard, and garlic enhance but not overwhelm the flavor of lamb.”
- Best for Chicken: Traeger SPC170 90-ounce Chicken BBQ Rub
“Easy storage with the stackable aluminum tin container, versatile for different chicken cooking applications.”
- Best for Brisket: John Henry’s Texas 11-ounce Brisket BBQ Rub
“Provides a nice natural smoke flavor that is great for brisket, chicken, and pork chops.”
- Best for Ribs: Pappy’s Choice Prime Rib Rub 24-ounce BBQ Rub
“No matter what type of rib cooking styles, the flavors you receive are always among the top-notch flavors.”
- Best for Seafood: A Cajun Life 8-ounce Seafood BBQ Rub
“An authentic Louisiana cajun seafood seasoning for great cajun flavor.”
- Best Dry: Bone Suckin’ Sauce 5.8-ounce BBQ Rub
“Hearty enough to stick and penetrate a nice large roast, one of the best dry BBQ rubs that are suitable for all types of meat and dishes.”
- Best Gluten-Free: Slap Yo Daddy 26-ounce BBQ Rub
“Provides unmatched tenderness and deep, rich seasoning, safe and delicious for everyone.”
- Best Low Sodium: Flavor God 4-ounce BBQ Rub
“Quite light for most users, but it will be the product that many people with health problems find and trust.”
- Best for Smoking: Lambert’s Sweet Rub O’ Mine 12.5-ounce BBQ Rub
“Great for both BBQ and smoking, not too spicy or salty, and just slightly sweet enough to get that great flavor without overpowering the meat.”
- Best Premade: Trader Joe’s 3.5-ounce BBQ Rub
“Most users feel the unique smell of coffee, and the bark formed after barbequing is fantastic.”
- Best Gift Set: BBQ Bros Rubs 10-ounce BBQ Rubs
“Three types of rubs for all grilling and barbequing recipes and optimize your cooking success.”
BBQ Rubs Comparison Chart
This comparison chart will provide some information about the best BBQ rubs you can find on the market to compare and choose quickly. There is a small coincidence, all the products here are dry rubs, showing the users’ interest and the explosive development of this type of BBQ rub.
|Best BBQ Rubs||Size||Flavor|
|Killer Hogs 12-ounce BBQ Rub - Best Overall||12 ounces||Sweet, spicy|
|Bad Byron's Butt Rub 26-ounce Seasoning BBQ Rub - Best for Budget||26 ounces||Mild, smokey, salty|
|McCormick Grill Mates 29-ounce Montreal Steak Seasoning BBQ Rub - Best for Steak||29 ounces||Spicy, salty|
|Pork Barrel BBQ 22-ounce BBQ Rub - Best for Pork||22 ounces||Smoky, spicy, salty|
|NOMU 50-gram BBQ Rub - Best for Lamp||50 gram||Sweet, smoky, citrusy, mild|
|Traeger SPC170 90-ounce Chicken BBQ Rub - Best for Chicken||90 ounces||Sweet, mild|
|John Henry's Texas 11-ounce Brisket BBQ Rub - Best for Brisket||11 ounces||Sweet, mild|
|Pappy's Choice Prime Rib Rub 24-ounce BBQ Rub - Best for Ribs||24 ounces||Salty, mild|
|A Cajun Life 8-ounce Seafood BBQ Rub - Best for Seafood||8 ounces||Salty|
|Bone Suckin' Sauce 5.8-ounce BBQ Rub - Best Dry||5.8 ounces||Sweet and peppery|
|Slap Yo Daddy 26-ounce BBQ Rub - Best Gluten-Free||26 ounces||Sweet, spicy|
|Flavor God 4-ounce BBQ Rub - Best Low Sodium||4 ounces||Sweet, spicy|
|Lambert's Sweet Rub O' Mine 12.5-ounce BBQ Rub - Best for Smoking||12.5 ounces||Sweet, spicy, mild|
|Trader Joe's 3.5-ounce BBQ Rub - Best Premade||3.5 ounces||Spicy, smoky, salty, sweet|
|BBQ Bros Rubs 10-ounce BBQ Rubs - Best Gift Set||10 ounces||Spicy|
Top 15 Best BBQ Rubs Reviews 2020
With detailed descriptions, pros and cons, evaluations, and experiences about some best BBQ rubs received much admiration above, this section will help you make a more precise decision and be happy with your chosen BBQ rubs.
1. Killer Hogs 12-ounce BBQ Rub
With the Killer Hogs 12-ounce BBQ Rub, users cannot help but be impressed with the beautiful color on the surface of the meat and the delicious taste that awakens the senses.
The mild and sweet aroma of natural sweetening components does not overwhelm the meat’s flavor but is very suitable for combination with all types of meat.
- Main ingredient: Brown sugar, salt, paprika, chili pepper, evaporated cane juice, dehydrated garlic, and orange peel
- Best applied for pork, beef, and poultry
- Brings out the natural flavors in meat
- Builds a beautiful, mahogany bark outside
- Creates beautiful colors for meat pieces
- Easy to rub with thick granules
- Contains MSG
- Lack of intense flavor to be more appealing
|Product dimensions||2.8 x 2.8 x 5.9 inches|
|Weight of the item||0.9 pounds|
|Servings per container||About 170 servings/container|
|Manufacturer||Killer Hogs BBQ|
Those who worship the low sodium diet will have more reason to love the Killer Hogs 12-ounce BBQ Rub because of the limited amount of salt in its ingredients.
If you prefer a stronger flavor, adding more salt to achieve your favorite taste will not affect the overall savor, and you still get the delicious and eye-catching pieces of meat that everyone craves right from the first moment.
If you don’t mind taking a moment, watch the video below and enjoy the whole BBQ process with the Killer Hogs 12-ounce BBQ Rub:
2. Bad Byron’s Butt Rub 26-ounce Seasoning BBQ Rub
(Best for Budget)
The Bad Byron’s Butt Rub is well-known and used in many places, from backyard chefs to professional cooks. With outstanding quality, the Bad Byron’s Butt Rub has also won many championship barbecues.
The Bad Byron’s Butt Rub 26-ounce Seasoning BBQ Rub is also very budget-friendly because you will have enough BBQ rub for many of your barbeques with not too much cost.
- Main ingredient: Salt, black pepper, paprika, granulated onion, and garlic
- No sugar or MSG
- All-purpose seasoning, best applied for: meat, vegetables, eggs, fish
- A perfect blend of all the spices you need for any meat
- Vegan seasoning for veggies
- A great Keto diet seasoning
- No carb flavor seasoning addition
- Maybe too salty for some people due to no sugar ingredient
|Product dimensions||4 x 2 x 2 inches|
|Weight of the item||4.5 ounces|
|Servings per container||About 819 servings/container|
|Manufacturer||Bad Byron’s Specialty Food Products, Inc.|
One thing you should notice is that Bad Byron’s Butt Rub 26-ounce Seasoning BBQ Rub is definitely on the salty side. You should use less than your normal amount and then adjust to your preference.
If you feel like a little sweet from sugar, adding some brown sugar will completely not affect the general flavor. In addition, Bad Byron’s Butt Rub is packaged in the 112-ounce pack, which will bring you even more price benefits.
The below video will tell you more on barbecuing with the Bad Byron’s Butt Rub 26-ounce Seasoning BBQ Rub:
3. McCormick Grill Mates 29-ounce Montreal Steak Seasoning BBQ Rub
(Best for Steak)
The McCormick Grill Mates 29-ounce Montreal Steak Seasoning BBQ Rub is made with natural spices and a master at adding a rich, delicious flavor to steaks.
Just rubbed with a bit of Montreal Steak Seasoning BBQ Rub, your steak will bring the culinary flavor of exceptional restaurants for you to enjoy at home.
- Main ingredient: Coarse salt, black and red pepper, extractives of paprika
- No MSG added
- All-natural herbs, no artificial flavors, and colors
- Best applied for steak, chicken, pork, seafood
- Delivers high-quality spices to add an extra kick for food
- Great to add a bold, savory taste to juicy steaks and other meats
- Add flavor to grilled vegetables
- Much pepper and salty for some people
|Product dimensions||6 x 2 x 2 inches|
|Weight of the item||1.81 ounces|
|Servings per container||About 1028 servings/container|
|Manufacturer||McCormick Grill Mates|
When mentioning about the McCormick Grill Mates 29-ounce Montreal Steak Seasoning BBQ Rub and the delicious steaks, I often choke on because there are too many compliments I want to say and do not know where to start.
McCormick’s Steak Seasoning truly brings mouth-watering flavor to steaks. However, you may want to put in a bit more spicy to suit your taste, and you also need to remember it is quite salty already.
You can learn more about other McCormick’s Steak Seasoning BBQ rub and seasoning products through this video:
4. Pork Barrel BBQ 22-ounce BBQ Rub
(Best for Pork)
If you know that pork has come a long way with the development of American barbeque, you would agree if someone said that BBQ rubs are made for pork first.
The Pork Barrel BBQ 22-ounce BBQ Rub can also be applied to many other types of meat, but it also celebrates the traditional natural pork flavor of American barbeque.
- Main ingredient: salt, chili pepper, smoked paprika, mustard flour
- No preservatives or MSG
- All-purpose, best applied for: pork, poultry, fish and veggies
- Provides slow-cooked flavors in pork and other meats as traditional barbecue
- Keto-friendly; no added sugar and starches
- Suitable for vegetables, whether steaming, grilling or roasting
- Maybe too salty for some people due to no sugar ingredient
|Weight of the item||1.19 ounces|
|Servings per container||About 623 servings/container|
|Manufacturer||Pork Barrel BBQ|
As with salty BBQs, if you want a little more sweetness to neutralize the flavor, you can feel free to add as much sugar as you like.
Like the American personality, the Pork Barrel BBQ 22-ounce BBQ Rub is also very flexible for you to rub in any way you want. In addition to pork, dishes with chicken, beef, fish fillets, scallops, shrimp, or vegetables are all more flavorful with the Pork Barrel BBQ rub.
5. NOMU 50-gram BBQ Rub
(Best for Lamp)
Lamb is delicious and flavorsome and often more tender than other meats. Lamb is also juicy with a great deal of cooking versatility, not only great when roasted whole or used in stews, but also tastes good on the BBQ.
The NOMU 50-gram BBQ Rub enhances the flavor of lamb, and the all-natural ingredients provide a more robust taste for your BBQ meat.
- Main ingredient: 12 herbs and spices
- No preservatives or MSG
- Best applied for: lamb, vegetables
- Main ingredients including rosemary, mustard, and garlic enhance but not overwhelm the flavor of lamb
- Provides consistently delicious flavors, natural nutrients
- Not heavily salt-based with added flavors, but mainly supplementing salt by herbs and spices
- Suitable for frying, grilling, slow cooking, roasting
- Not very good as a coating when cooking
- The flavor may be too mild for some people
|Product dimensions||8 x 8 x 5.5 cm|
|Weight of the item||50g|
|Servings per container||About 20 servings/container|
Lamb is very nutritious and has many health benefits. In particular, lamb is high in iron and potassium, which is beneficial for preventing stroke.
Pieces of lamb at different positions may have a an extraordinary flavor and different grilling requirements. Still, with the NOMU 50-gram BBQ Rub, you can always be assured of the consistency of your cooking quality.
6. Traeger SPC170 90-ounce Chicken BBQ Rub
(Best for Chicken)
Chicken is a familiar food and applies almost all the cooking techniques that humans can create. Chicken BBQ is no exception, and the BBQ rub for chicken is also paid attention to by the manufacturers.
The Traeger SPC170 90-ounce Chicken BBQ Rub is an excellent addition to your creative chicken.
- Main ingredient: cane sugar, salt, paprika, citrus and black pepper
- Best applied for: chicken, pork
- Easy storage with the stackable aluminum tin container
- Provides consistently delicious flavors, natural nutrients
- Versatile for different chicken cooking applications
- Difficult to modify and combine with other seasonings
|Product dimensions||1.99 x 4 x 3.27 inches|
|Weight of the item||0.71 pounds|
|Servings per container||About 255 servings/container|
The Traeger SPC170 90-ounce Chicken BBQ Rub is great for both chicken and pork. With a whole chicken recipe, add the Traeger SPC170 with a little rosemary and stuff the cavity with an orange or apple to ensure moistness, I assure you cannot go wrong.
7. John Henry’s Texas 11-ounce Brisket BBQ Rub
(Best for Brisket)
Brisket is one of the most popular meat parts with characteristic toughness. The John Henry’s Texas 11-ounce Brisket BBQ Rub is designed to handle brisket meat completely, allowing the meat to get full, balanced flavors without drying out.
- Main ingredient: salt, chili powder, paprika, lemon oil
- Salt base
- No anti-caking
- Best applied for: chicken
- Designed to hold meat juices while spreading flavor throughout the brisket
- Provides a nice natural smoke flavor that is also great for chicken and pork chops
- A balanced blend of sugar, salt, and spices, great on even steak, ribs, and fish
- Produces a well developed and flavorful bark that is not bitter
- Maybe too sweet for some people
|Product dimensions||2.5 x 2.5 x 6.5 inches|
|Weight of the item||1 pound|
|Servings per container||About 32 servings/container|
The gentle aroma of pecans and the mild flavor of the John Henry’s Texas 11-ounce Brisket BBQ Rub will appeal to those passionate about the sweet taste of rub.
If you want to take your brisket smoking game to the next level, this rub will be the best start with great bark and wonderful flavor.
8. Pappy’s Choice Prime Rib Rub 24-ounce BBQ Rub
(Best for Ribs)
Barbeque may not have many other types of meat, but without ribs, the art of barbeque cooking may not be itself. A cook who has not made good ribs cannot also be considered as a barbeque connoisseur.
There are many BBQ rub products to assist you in making this attractive barbecue, but the Pappy’s Choice Prime Rib 24-ounce BBQ rub will be a promise for you.
- California style
- Main ingredient: salt, spices, paprika, beef flavor
- All-natural ingredients
- No artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and no MSG or fillers
- Best applied for prime ribs, lamb, brisket, steak, poultry
- High-grade spices and premium quality fresh ingredients
- Works on everything and anything
- Maybe you need to add some sugar and add a bit of cracked black pepper
|Product dimensions||20.3 x 8.9 x 7.6 cm|
|Weight of the item||1.5 pounds|
|Servings per container||About 566 servings/container|
|Manufacturer||Pappy’s Fine Foods|
Many generations of families in the Central Valley of California have known that they can completely rely on Pappy’s to get the best food flavors, especially meat dishes.
No matter what type of rib cooking styles that you use Pappy’s Choice Prime Rib Rub 24-ounce BBQ rub with, the flavors you receive are always one of the top-notch flavors.
If you want more information on the quality of the Pappy’s Choice Prime Rib Rub 24-ounce BBQ rub, the video below will have a lot to tell you:
9. A Cajun Life 8-ounce Seafood BBQ Rub
(Best for Seafood)
When BBQ becomes an indispensable activity in culture, cuisine, and everyone’s habit, one thing that will happen is that people seek to BBQ everything they can eat and seek for ways to make it the best taste with BBQ.
If you can successfully cook vegetable BBQ, yes, you can BBQ seafood, especially when you have the A Cajun Life 8-ounce Seafood BBQ Rub.
- Main ingredient: salt, spices, paprika
- All-natural ingredients
- Low sodium
- Non-GMO, no MSG, gluten-free
- Best applied for seafood, steak, popcorn, vegetables
- An authentic Louisiana cajun seafood seasoning for great cajun flavor
- Prepared in a dedicated allergy-friendly facility
- A bit salty, no sugar in the ingredients
|Product dimensions||2.6 x 2.6 x 4.1 inches|
|Weight of the item||8 ounces|
|Servings per container||About 227 servings/container|
|Manufacturer||A Cajun Life|
The savory taste of the A Cajun Life 8-ounce Seafood BBQ Rub enhances the seafood flavor. Of course, you can always modify the taste by adding some other ingredients.
The beautiful color of the finished product also makes A Cajun Life Seafood BBQ Rub be chosen for barbequing many other types of meat.
10. Bone Suckin’ Sauce 5.8-ounce BBQ Rub
The dry BBQ rub has confirmed its dominance over the wet type recently, because you can store dry BBQ rubs longer and easier, and because you can easily create wet rub mixes from dry rubs by adding a few ingredients containing water.
With high-quality ingredients and balanced ingredients, the Bone Suckin’ Sauce 5.8-ounce BBQ Rub is one of the best dry BBQ rubs that are suitable for all types of meat and dishes.
- Main ingredient: brown sugar, salt, celery powder, citric acid, spices
- All-natural ingredients
- Non-GMO, gluten-free, no added colors
- No high fructose corn syrup
- Best applied for: ribs, pork, beef, chicken, seafood
- Perfect for barbeque, grilling, marinating
- Hearty enough to stick and penetrate a nice large roast
- Enhances smoky flavor
- Sweet taste and after-taste of lemon pepper may not be suitable for some people
|Product dimensions||2.2 x 2.2 x 5.1 inches|
|Weight of the item||5.8 ounces|
|Servings per container||About 164 servings/container|
Even with the non-traditional dishes with BBQ rubs like baked potatoes, ground meat for burgers or meatloaf, the Bone Suckin ‘Sauce 5.8-ounce BBQ Rub still brings great flavor. It is full of flavor but not too spicy, suitable for the taste of the majority of users.
The following interesting video will give you more information about the Bone Suckin’ Sauce 5.8-ounce BBQ Rub:
11. Slap Yo Daddy 26-ounce BBQ Rub
Becoming one of the new culinary trends, gluten-free is receiving the attention of many people. Gluten-free foods are not harmful to people eating and also help eliminate many types of allergies.
However, people with celiac disease who are intolerant to gluten will be incurable and risk of death. The Slap Yo Daddy 26-ounce BBQ Rub is a seasoning solution for delicious and safe food.
- Main ingredient: maple, natural cane sugar, pepper, spices
- Fresh, natural ingredients, all-purpose
- Crafted by hand
- MSG-free, gluten-free
- Best applied for: ribs, beef, chicken, brisket
- Provides unmatched tenderness and deep, rich seasoning
- Perfect proportions with the finest and freshest ingredients, nothing is overwhelming
- Sweet for beef
- Too spicy for kids
|Weight of the item||1.8 pounds|
|Serving size||1 teaspoon|
|Servings per container||About 156 servings/container|
|Manufacturer||Slap Yo Daddy BBQ|
Besides gluten-free characteristics, the Slap Yo Daddy 26-ounce BBQ Rub also eliminates many other unsafe ingredients for users, so that your BBQ will be safe and delicious for everyone.
This below video is about barbequing with the Slap Yo Daddy 26-ounce BBQ Rub:
12. Flavor God 4-ounce BBQ Rub
(Best Low Sodium)
Sodium is known as a mineral, and one of the chemical elements in salt. High sodium intake is associated with hypertension and scientific trials have shown that reducing the amount of sodium in the diet reduces blood pressure in adults.
BBQ is often a richly flavored dish, so an ordinary BBQ rub can disrupt your attempt to stay healthy. The Flavor God 4-ounce BBQ Rub is formulated to help you reduce sodium intake and enhance your health while still having a good appetite.
- Main ingredient: blanched almonds, sea salt, black pepper, lemon peel, spices
- MSG-free, gluten-free, soy-free
- Best applied for chicken, wings, steak
- Healthy vegan seasonings with zero calories, zero carbs, zero fat
- Good for those have high blood pressure and kidney disease
- Pale taste due to low-sodium
|Product dimensions||2.2 x 2.2 x 4.5 inches|
|Weight of the item||4 ounces|
|Servings per container||About 195 servings/container|
Everyone knows that low-sodium diets have many health benefits in general, such as improving diet quality and helping decrease cancer risk.
With low sodium, the Flavor God 4-ounce BBQ Rub will taste quite light for most users, but it will be the product that people with heart disease, high blood pressure, and kidney disease find and trust.
13. Lambert’s Sweet Rub O’ Mine 12.5-ounce BBQ Rub
(Best for Smoking)
Smoking and BBQ are both low and slow cooking methods, but smoking is cooking something low and slow over smoke, while a BBQ is cooking over the heat or flames.
That difference does not matter to the Lambert’s Sweet Rub O ‘Mine 12.5-ounce BBQ Rub, because no matter which method you choose to handle your meat, the Lambert’s Sweet Rub O’ Mine gives you the great taste.
- Main ingredient: sugar, salt, chili pepper, spices
- Best applied for pork, beef, chicken
- A wonderful and complex sweet flavor
- Enhances savory or umami flavors
- A great injection for pork
- Includes MSG
|Product dimensions||2.8 x 2.8 x 6 inches|
|Weight of the item||14.4 ounces|
|Servings per container||About 354 servings/container|
|Manufacturer||Sweet Swine O’Mine|
The Lambert’s Sweet Rub O ‘Mine 12.5-ounce BBQ Rub is not too spicy or salty, and just slightly sweet enough to get that great flavor without overpowering the meat but still gives it great color.
Many users choose the Lambert’s Sweet Rub O ‘Mine to be their go-to rub for ribs and pork butt.
14. Trader Joe’s 3.5-ounce BBQ Rub
It is undeniable that premade products increasingly play an important role in the kitchen of families. It helps people have the best meals without spending too much time preparing ingredients and spices.
BBQ rubs on the market are mostly premade products, but the Trader Joe’s 3.5-ounce BBQ Rub has a unique and attractive coffee flavor.
- Main ingredient: sea salt, brown sugar, paprika, coffee, garlic, spices
- Best applied for pork, chicken, and fish
- Very different taste than usual rubs for a wonderful smell
- Works well as a seasoning (in small amounts) on veggies, baked potatoes, and pasta
- Easy to add other spices to suit the user’s taste
- Unique coffee flavors may not be suitable for some people
|Product dimensions||3 x 3 x 5 inches|
|Weight of the item||3.52 ounces|
|Servings per container||About 125 servings/container|
Coat the Trader Joe’s 3.5-ounce BBQ Rub an hour or longer before barbequing, your steak and pork chops will have an irresistible smoky flavor that can awaken the senses.
Because the aroma of coffee is so passionate, you can only be on either side, support it, or dislike it. However, most users feel the unique smell and the bark formed after barbequing is fantastic.
15. BBQ Bros Rubs 10-ounce BBQ Rubs
(Best Gift Set)
It can be said that BBQ is a sharing characteristic very typical in American culture because you usually will not enjoy BBQ alone. BBQ dishes and parties are always associated with memories with family, relatives, and friends.
The BBQ Bros Rubs 10-ounce BBQ Rubs with three kinds of BBQ Rub flavors are plentiful enough to suit everyone’s taste. They are also a meaningful gift set for your loved ones.
- Regular Southern style
- 3 pack – bulk jars set: Memphis Rub, Carolina Style Rub, and New Orleans Style Rub
- Gluten-free, no MSG, low sodium, no artificial preservatives
- Best applied for: using on the grill, in the kitchen, or the smoker
- Easily combine with other ingredients to suit the users’ taste
- Three types of rubs for all grilling and barbequing recipes and optimize your cooking success
- Not too spicy, suitable for even children
- Quite salty
- Does not enhance the pork flavor
|Weight of the item||2.3 pounds|
|Servings per container||–|
|Manufacturer||BBQ Bros Rubs|
The Memphis rub is mild with good complexity of flavors, the Carolina rub is spicier with whole red pepper flakes in it, while the Louisiana rub is great on seafood.
Thanks to these rubs, you might be surprised by a lot of compliments for your BBQ, and your friends will surround you to ask for tips on grilling steak and chicken. There is nothing better than sharing your secrets or giving these BBQ rubs to them on a special occasion to show their love and care.
Best BBQ Rubs Buying Guide
There are many types of BBQ rubs available out there for you to choose from. Things will not be too difficult if you consider the following aspects before deciding to buy:
Not all BBQ rubs are suitable for all types of meat. Some types that are widely applicable to all foods, but some are only suitable for pigs, or cows, or chickens, or fish. Please read this information carefully on the packaging of the product.
Types of BBQ rubs are also produced with a spicy, sour, and sweet taste to best satisfy the user’s preferences. If you do not like a taste, it is useful for you to avoid unpleasant sensations when enjoying food.
Interestingly, different regions have different BBQ styles so that Texas BBQ rubs will be different from those of Carolina’s. If you love a particular style of BBQ, finding this information on product packaging is something you need to do.
Each user will have the best BBQ rubs with their favorite flavor, but you need to note a few points about the ingredients of the rub to buy for your cooking success and your health:
- Salt: Salt is an ingredient found in most BBQ rubs, but a quality rub uses a reasonable amount to add flavor. At the same time, other manufacturers can take advantage of the relatively cheap and heavy features of salt to reduce costs.
Therefore, you should also be careful with the types of rubs in which salt constitutes the majority.
- Sugar: Sugar is also a common ingredient to add flavor to BBQ rubs, but a rub with lots of sugar can easily burn and turn bitter if you want to roast meat for long periods at high temperatures.
Remembering the sugar’s burning temperature of 375°F (190°C) can help in these situations.
- MSG: Some barbeque rubs use MSG to enhance the umami flavor of ingredients. However, some people have adverse reactions to MSG, such as headaches, allergies, and asthma. Therefore, you should also pay attention to this component when choosing to buy.
In addition to the above factors, you can consider more about the price, the reputable brands, or other particular health-related factors to choose the best product.
Which Brands of BBQ Rubs Are The Best?
There are many brands involved in the field of manufacturing BBQ rubs. The current prominent names include:
Killer Hogs: Since 2001, brothers Malcom and Waylon Reed have won the bigs checks of cooking competition BBQ. They developed into a business, and the Killer Hogs has become a full line of products that are distributed nationally and globally.
Bad Byron’s: In the spring of 1997, Bad Byron was founded, and the Butt Rub brand was born. For seven consecutive years (2000 to 2007), the top BBQ competition awards helped Butt Rub quickly develop into an internationally renowned brand.
Traeger: Not only producing delicious BBQ rubs, but Traeger is also a manufacturer for a range of grill tools. Traeger’s BBQ rubs are diverse in types and made 100% from natural ingredients, and GMO-free.
Pork Barrel BBQ: Since 2008, Pork Barrel BBQ has begun to market. After a rough start, the brand has been widely loved by the complex flavors and aromas of classic American barbequed foods.
Mc Cormick: In 1889, M. McCormick started the company in a cellar and sold flavors from door to door. Throughout the Great Depression and the historical changes, the 130-year tradition has helped McCormick grow with a wide range of products that are widely known around the world.
Bone Suckin’: Launched in 1992 and started exporting in 1994, Ford’s Gourmet Foods has introduced its Bone Suckin’ sauces to over 80 countries, and sales are continually increasing. The company is also developing an organics line and broaden the range of gourmet foods.
Sweet Swine O ‘Mine: More than 15 years’ experience in competitive BBQ cooking has helped Sweet Swine O’ Mine to achieve the perfect barbeque sauce and rub. The difference between Sweet Swine O’ Mine and all other competitors is from the expertly blended spices and flavors.
Frequently asked questions in this section are about using types of BBQ rubs. Here you can find answers to your questions, as well as new interesting, relevant knowledge.
My Top Pick
Speaking of barbeque, I could not help imagining the gentle steam coming out and the attractive reddish-brown color of the hot meat rubbed by the Killer Hogs 12-ounce BBQ Rub.
Since the Killer Hogs 12-ounce BBQ Rub is suitable for all types of meat, I also do not need to worry about finding other suitable spices for my barbeque but can still be assured of the outcome.
I think this is really a “killer” as the name implies. The Killer Hogs rub can sweep through BBQ parties and make people relentlessly say compliments about it and the host. Surely you can guess it is a great feeling for every homeowner.
How about your best BBQ rubs? Would you like to share your secret cooking weapon with me here?