It’s always a lovely occasion to be able to gather together with your friends, family, and love ones to have an intimate grilling party. After all, there’s a charming appeal to grilling that it’s downright impossible not to like this fun activity.
Out of the many types of grills, perhaps the Kamado grills are among the most popular kinds of grills the world has to offer due to their efficiency and the flavors they can induce in food, especially meat.
However, this begs one question – “What is the best Kamado grill?” If you don’t know the answer to this, then I can help you with my review for the top 15 best Kamado grills one could possibly buy in 2020.
- Benefits of Kamado Grill
- Kamado Grills vs. Smokers
- Kamado Grills vs. Gas Grills
- Here Are The Best Kamado Grills:
- Kamado Grill Comparison Chart
- Top 15 Best Kamado Grill Reviews 2020
- Kamado Joe KJ23RHC Classic II Charcoal Kamado Grill
- Char-Griller E06614 AKORN Jr Red Kamado Grill
- Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Charcoal Kamado Grill
- Weber 18501001 Summit Charcoal Grilling Center Kamado Grill
- Kamado Joe BJ24RHC Big Joe II Charcoal Kamado Grill
- Kamado Joe KJ23NRHC Classic II Stand-Alone Charcoal Kamado Grill
- Chefood 13’ Ceramic Portable BBQ Charcoal Kamado Grill
- Pit Boss Grills 71220 BBQ Ceramic Kamado Grill
- Kamado Joe KJ23RHI-A Classic Joe III Charcoal Kamado Grill
- Char-Griller E56720 Akorn Charcoal Kamado Grill
- Grill Dome Infinity Series Charcoal Smoker Kamado Grill
- Primo 778 Extra-Large Oval Ceramic Charcoal Smoker Kamado Grill
- Broil King 911470 Keg 5000 Kamado Grill
- Kamado Joe KJ23RH Classic I Charcoal Kamado Grill
- Char-Broil Kamander Charcoal Kamado Grill
- A Guide to Buying the Best Kamado Grill in 2020
- Kamado Grill – A Using Guide
- My Top Pick
Benefits of Kamado Grill
If you have just begun to grill, you might notice that there are quite many types of grills around such as propane grill, infrared gas grill, kettle grills, pellet grills, and so on.
With so many options, it’s completely understandable if you’re having doubts about whether Kamado grills would be the best choice for you.
If that’s the case, I will be listing some of the benefits of a Kamado grill to help you understand them better.
- They can cook for quite a long time without requiring you to spend too much time and effort supervising the fire and cooking process.
- They can reach a high temperature of up to 750 degrees Fahrenheit. With this temperature, you can easily sear your food without overdoing them.
- They can grill and smoke your food at the same time. Therefore, they can be really efficient and time-saving.
- You can easily change and control the temperature in Kamado grills. As a result, you can cook your food at any temperature you wish to. From medium-low to searing high heat, the Kamado really has it all.
- Due to their simplicity, Kamado grills are easy to use and are generally hassle-free.
- Kamado grills are quite versatile. They are perfectly capable of baking, searing, roasting, smoking, and grilling food. Also, they can make delicious, professional-like pizzas. And to be honest, who doesn’t like pizza?
- Kamado grills are suitable for both beginners and professionals alike. Whether you have a lot of experience in this grilling, the Kamado will not let you down with the excellent taste and texture they can provide to your food.
- It’s worth mentioning that Kamado grills can be quite cost-effective in the long run. Because of their design, these types of grill will consume considerably less fuel. Therefore, they can be environmentally-friendly as well.
- These grills can last for a very long time if you treat your grill with love and care. In fact, Kamado is arguably one of the most durable types of grills there are.
- Their perfect insulation system will ensure that they can be used in even cold and rainy weather. Therefore, you will never have to cancel a grilling party when it’s raining ever again with Kamado grills.
The only downside of Kamado grills I can think of off the top of my head is that these grills can come at quite a high price.
Kamado Grills vs. Smokers
When buying a Kamado grill, perhaps you might have also considered getting a smoker. If you’re facing a dilemma where you don’t know whether you should get a Kamado grill or a smoker, here’s some key differences that you might want to know.
As is suggested in the name, a smoker is better suited at smoking food. While in theory, smokers can be used to grill food, in reality, smokers are designed or low and slow cooking.
On the other hand, a Kamado grill is a better option for grilling food. While it’s true that Kamado can be used for smoking, they are not the best option for this task.
After all, Kamado grills are designed for grilling, baking, and searing food, not smoking them.
To conclude, Kamado grills cannot fully double-act as a smoker and vice versa. If you can afford it, you should buy both.
Kamado Grills vs. Gas Grills
While both are designed to grill food, Kamado grills and gas grills vastly differ from each other. To truly be able to determine which is the better one for you, you first need to know their key differences.
To begin with, Kamado grills usually offer you more versatility when it comes to cooking options.
Furthermore, because you’ll be cooking with charcoals in Kamado grills, you will get more or less of a robust smoky flavor. Therefore, if you love the smoky flavors, your best bet is the Kamado grill because a gas one will not be able to replicate that.
Moreover, as surprising as it might sound, Kamado grills can cook considerably faster than gas grills. Generally, Kamado grills are made of ceramic, a material that can get hot in a short amount of time and can retain heat relatively well.
It’s also worth mentioning that Kamado grills are usually more portable than gas grills. Even though these egg-shaped grills can be heavy, they still boast a compact design that make it easier for you to move them around.
However, gas grills are much easier to use, manage, as well as maintain. They generally are more reliable than Kamado grills and they will not leave behind a large amount of waste like Kamado can.
Here Are The Best Kamado Grills:
If you already have a product in mind, then you should have a quick look at the brief description for the best Kamado grills among my list of recommendations.
- Best Overall – Kamado Joe KJ23RHC Classic II Charcoal Kamado Grill
“Divide and Conquer cooking system, air-lifted hinge, comes with a rolling cart, easy to control the temperature setting, easy to assemble and clean, durable.”
- Best for Budget – Char-Griller E06614 AKORN Jr Red Kamado Grill
“Economical, provides even heating, includes a simple dump ash pan for ease of cleaning, dual air dampers for precise temperature control, locking lid with a hinge.”
- Best With Smoker – Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Charcoal Kamado Grill
“Primary cooking space with a warming rack, insulated design for better heat retention, dual airflow dampers for better temperature control, portable.”
- Best Versatility – Weber 18501001 Summit Charcoal Grilling Center Kamado Grill
“Dual-walled insulation, porcelain-enameled construction, gas ignition, adjustable grate system, one-touch cleaning, easy temperature control.”
- Best for BBQ – Kamado Joe BJ24RHC Big Joe II Charcoal Kamado Grill
“Air-lifted lid, Divide and Conquer cooking system, fiberglass gasket for an airtight seal, highly versatile, easy to use and assemble.”
- Best for Pizza – Kamado Joe KJ23NRHC Classic II Stand-Alone Charcoal Kamado Grill
“Divide and Conquer cooking system, air-lifted hinge, highly versatile, easy to use and clean, excellent temperature control.”
- Best Small Size – Chefood 13’ Ceramic Portable BBQ Charcoal Kamado Grill
“Portable, made from real ceramic, approved by the FDA, can work even in the cold weather, dual damper system for better temperature control.”
- Best for Backyard Grill – Pit Boss Grills 71220 BBQ Ceramic Kamado Grill
“Heavy ceramic body for better durability, side-shelves included for convenience, dual-tier cooking system, top damper, excellent heat retention.”
- Best High End – Kamado Joe KJ23RHI-A Classic Joe III Charcoal Kamado Grill
“Hyperbolic smoke chamber, 3 tier cooking system, air-lifted hinge, versatile and flexible, easy to assemble and clean, great temperature control.”
- Best for Meat – Char-Griller E56720 Akorn Charcoal Kamado Grill
“Comes with a warming rack, an insulated chamber for better heat retention, locking lid, easy dump ash pan for effortless cleaning, heat gauge included.”
- Best for Beginners – Grill Dome Infinity Series Charcoal Smoker Kamado Grill
“Heavy-duty construction, featherlite hinged system, highly versatile, user-friendly, extra thick walls which boost heat retention.”
Kamado Grill Comparison Chart
Because I believe in efficiency and I hope to save you some time, here’s a short and concise comparison chart that should be able to inform you of the most basic information of the best Kamado grills I’ll be recommending.
|Best Kamado Grills||Cooking Sizes||Materials||Product Weight||Product Dimensions|
|Kamado Joe KJ23RHC Classic II Charcoal Kamado Grill - Best Overall||18 inches in diameter||Cast iron and cast aluminum||250 pounds||26.4 x 26.4 x 36 inches|
|Char-Griller E06614 AKORN Jr Red Kamado Grill - Best for Budget||153 square inches in primary cooking space||Cast iron grates||37 pounds||20.5 x 21.5 x 25.3 inches|
|Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Charcoal Kamado Grill - Best Smoker||324 square inches in primary cooking space, 133 square inches in warming rack||Cast iron, 22 gauge steel, and porcelain-coated steel||90 pounds||26.6 x 24.8 x 21.65 inches|
|Weber 18501001 Summit Charcoal Grilling Center Kamado Grill - Best Versatility||425 square inches||425 square inches||242 pounds||47.7 x 56.6 x 35 inches|
|Kamado Joe BJ24RHC Big Joe II Charcoal Kamado Grill - Best for BBQ||452 square inches||Rust-proof aluminum, fiberglass||394 pounds||33.5 x 33.5 x 39.97 inches|
|Kamado Joe KJ23NRHC Classic II Stand-Alone Charcoal Kamado Grill - Best for Pizza||18 inches in diameter||Ceramic||215 pounds||22 x 28.5 x 33 inches|
|Chefood 13’ Ceramic Portable BBQ Charcoal Kamado Grill - Best Small Size||13 inches in diameter||Ceramic, cast iron||46.7 pounds||17.2 x 15.5 x 14.5 inches|
|Pit Boss Grills 71220 BBQ Ceramic Kamado Grill - Best for Backyard Grill||22 inches in diameter||Cast iron, bamboo shelves||178.6 pounds||45.9 x 29.1 x 52 inches|
|Kamado Joe KJ23RHI-A Classic Joe III Charcoal Kamado Grill - Best High End||18 inches in diameter||Heavy-duty steel, ceramic||232 pounds||30 x 46.5 x 50.5 inches|
|Char-Griller E56720 Akorn Charcoal Kamado Grill - Best for Meat||314 square inches in primary cooking space, 133 square inches warming rack||22 gauge steel, powder-coated steel, porcelain-coated steel||89 pounds||45.2 x 31.3 x 47.4 inches|
|Grill Dome Infinity Series Charcoal Smoker Kamado Grill - Best for Beginners||380 square inches||Heavy-duty 304 stainless steel||280 pounds||32 x 28 x 40 inches|
|Primo 778 Extra-Large Oval Ceramic Charcoal Smoker Kamado Grill||400 square inches in primary cooking space||Premium-grade ceramic with a protective porcelain glaze||200 pounds||28 x 21 x 27.5 inches|
|Broil King 911470 Keg 5000 Kamado Grill||18.5 inches in diameter||Aluminum and cast iron||126 pounds||41 x 27.5 x 47 inches|
|Kamado Joe KJ23RH Classic I Charcoal Kamado Grill||N/A||Stainless steel||188 pounds||46.5 x 23 x 48 inches|
|Char-Broil Kamander Charcoal Kamado Grill||327 square inches in primary cooking space, 142 square inches in the secondary cooking area||Double-walled steel||117.5 pounds||27.1 x 43.8 x 45.8 inches|
Top 15 Best Kamado Grill Reviews 2020
Now comes the most important part of my review where I’ll review the best Kamado grills. I’ll try to be as informative as possible while still keep the information brief. Be sure to read the review carefully so as not to make the wrong choice.
Kamado Joe KJ23RHC Classic II Charcoal Kamado Grill
Coming at a very affordable price, the Kamado Joe Classic II grill is undoubtedly one of the best options you can possibly get when it comes to Kamado Grill. With its outstanding sturdiness and durability, this product sure is a great value for money.
Arriving with a premium rolling cart, this grill boasts excellent portability. It offers a decent cooking area of up to 18 inches in diameter, which is more than enough to cook for a small party or family gathering.
What sets this grill apart from the rest of its competitors is its 2-tier Divide and Conquer cooking system. What’s a divide and conquer system you might ask. Well, it’s what will transform the product into a powerful and highly efficient grill.
The cooking surface is designed with a half-moon and multilevel design, which will allow you to cook different food at different temperatures and with varying styles of cooking in one go. Thus, it can save quite a lot of your precious time.
What’s more, this grill has an excellent air insulation system. With the dome opening and closing, the grill can achieve a consistent airflow. Also, the dual adjustment top vent will let you cook in the rain and keep mold from growing on the grill.
- Divide and Conquer cooking system
- Half-moon and multilevel design
- Air-lifted hinge
- Comes with rolling cart for portability
- The grill is made of highly durable and sturdy materials
- The rolling cart makes it easy to transport the smoker everywhere
- The product is highly versatile, capable of performing many jobs at once
- The food cook in this grill will have excellent flavors and textures
- The product has a simple design so that it’ll be easy to assemble
- Easy to use and clean
- The grills offer easy and excellent temperature control
- The shipping process might slightly damage the grill
|Product Dimensions||26.4 x 26.4 x 36 inches|
|Item Weight||250 pounds|
|Cooking Areas||18 inches in diameter|
|Material||Cast iron and cast aluminum|
|Temperature range||225 degrees Fahrenheit to 750 degrees Fahrenheit|
What’s a better way to learn more about a product than having a closer look at it:
Char-Griller E06614 AKORN Jr Red Kamado Grill
(Best for Budget)
Just because you’re hesitant to spend too much money on a Kamado grill doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s no high-quality product out there for you. In fact, you can get this fantastic Kamado grill at a very affordable price.
One reason you’d want to get this grill is that it can provide you with even heating to ensure that your food achieves the best flavors possible. Moreover, you will find controlling the grill’s temperature very easy with the dual airflow dampers.
Don’t underestimate this Kamado grill simply because it’s cheap. On the contrary, the product has excellent heat retention that can rival with even the most expensive ceramic grill. Thanks to this, you will be able to save a lot of charcoals and wood chips.
To simplify the cleaning process, the grill is equipped with an easy dump ash pan. As a result, after you’re done grilling food, you can simply remove the pan and throw away the ash.
- Even heating
- Simple dump ash pan
- Air dampers on both top and bottom
- Locking lid with hinge
- The grill is among the most economical options while still offers excellent performance
- It boasts a decent cooking surface that is large enough to serve a small group of people
- The grill is lightweight enough that it has excellent portability
- The grill makes cleaning and assembling a smooth and effortless task
- The product offers excellent and even temperature control
- There’s a small chance that the grill might arrive with missing minor parts
|Product Dimensions||20.5 x 21.5 x 25.3 inches|
|Item Weight||37 pounds|
|Cooking Areas||153 square inches in primary cooking space|
|Material||Cast iron grates|
You can see the unboxing of this Kamado grill and learn how to assemble it via this video:
Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Charcoal Kamado Grill
Are you looking for a grill that can deliver perfectly seared food with a robust and smoky flavor that will make you crave for more? Look no further with the Akorn Kamado grill from Char-Griller, which is as easy to use as it is efficient.
Built with 22 gauge steel with cast iron cooking surface, the Akorn Kamado grill boasts a solid and sturdy construction. It’s also equipped with a removable warming rack above the grilling surface and folding side shelves for the sake of convenience.
With its double-walled insulation system, the product can retain heat relatively well. Additionally, the grill offers east temperature within the range of 200 to 700 degrees Fahrenheit. Due to this, you can choose to sear, smoke, or slow cook food however you want.
Arriving in with a movable cart, this grill can be moved anywhere with relative ease. In addition to that, the product also has an easy ash dump pan to minimize the efforts need for cleaning after your grill party.
- Primary cooking space with warming rack
- Insulated design
- Dual airflow dampers
- Portable cart with wheels
- Locking lid
- Easy ash dump pan
- The grill has excellent heat retention capability and outstanding insulation
- The product does not require too much time and effort to clean
- The grill’s construction is simple enough that one can quickly assemble it
- The outstanding insulation of the grill provides excellent temperature control
- It does not consume too many charcoals and wood chips
- It can give food an earthy and smoky flavor
- The grill is not durable, especially when not properly preserved
|Product Dimensions||26.6 x 24.8 x 21.65 inches|
|Item Weight||90 pounds|
|Cooking Areas||324 square inches in primary cooking space|
133 square inches in warming rack
|Material||Cast iron, 22 gauge steel, and porcelain-coated steel|
Weber 18501001 Summit Charcoal Grilling Center Kamado Grill
Do you love what Kamado grills have to offer but want to see something with more features, flexibility, or versatility? If that is the case, then may I present to you the Weber Grilling Center Kamado grill, which is more than just a simple Kamado.
Boasting an ample cooking space of up to 425 square inches, the grills come with a gourmet BBQ hinged cooking plate and a hinged diffuser plate. Thanks to this, you’ll be able to cook virtually any food you in a large amount in one single go.
You can say goodbye to sweating over starting the stubborn charcoals. As it happens, this fantastic Kamado-style grill has a two-position fuel gate and a snap-jet ignition system, which operates on gas.
Furthermore, the product offers various settings for cooking, such as slow cook, smoke, sear, or low. It also comes with a rapid-fire lid damper to make it easier for you to control the temperature and regulate the cooking process.
Finally, this girl has an ash catcher made of durable aluminum to reduce cleaning up time.
- Dual-walled insulation
- Porcelain-enameled construction
- Gas ignition
- Adjustable grate system
- One-touch cleaning
- The grill offers easy and impressive temperature control thanks to the rapid-fire lid damper
- It’s easy to use and assemble
- The grill’s aluminum ash catcher will make sure that it can be cleaned easily
- The grill can perform a wide variety of tasks, thus giving you more cooking options
- The grill might be a bit too bulky to some people
|Product Dimensions||47.7 x 56.6 x 35 inches|
|Item Weight||242 pounds|
|Cooking Areas||425 square inches|
Behold the magnificence and beauty of this smoker with the following video:
Kamado Joe BJ24RHC Big Joe II Charcoal Kamado Grill
(Best for BBQ)
With its high quality and outstanding efficiency, the Big Joe II Kamado Grill has essentially redefined craftsmanship as well as innovation. Anyone who loves a hearty BBQ party out in the open will surely come to love this fantastic Kamado grill.
Made from a thick and heat-resistant shell, this product from Kamado Joe boasts excellent heat retention ability. When combined with the brand new fiberglass gasket, the grill can really seal in the flavors and moisture in the food.
Furthermore, the Big Joe II has a unique cooking system known as “Divide and Conquer”. This means the grill has a multilevel, and half-moon rack design so that you can have plenty of space to cook different types of food on several surfaces.
That’s not all; this Kamado grill also has an aluminum countertop vent that is resistant against rust and rain. With it, you’ll be able to regulate air setting for the best airflow possible.
- Air-lifted lid
- Multilevel, half-moon cooking system
- Aluminum tower top vent
- Fiberglass gasket for an airtight seal
- The grill’s Divide and Conquer cooking system makes it a highly versatile option
- Can cook food with excellent flavors and texture
- The grill is easy to use, even for novice people
- Easy to assemble
- Does not too much time to install
- The unit is highly resistant against rust and weather elements
- The grill can be a bit too big and bulky
|Product Dimensions||33.5 x 33.5 x 39.97 inches|
|Item Weight||394 pounds|
|Material||Rust-proof aluminum, fiberglass|
Kamado Joe KJ23NRHC Classic II Stand-Alone Charcoal Kamado Grill
(Best for Pizza)
If you want to find a Kamado grill without a rolling cart or any other accessory, this Kamado grill is undoubtedly the best option for you.
One of the most affordable Kamado grills, this stand-alone Kamado grill, has an impressive sturdiness as well as durability.
Like its predecessor, the product has a decent cooking area of up to 18 inches in diameter, a surface big enough for you to cook for your family of four.
Furthermore, the Stand-Alone Kamado grill has a 2-tier divide and conquer cooking system, which will essentially transform the product into a powerful and highly efficient grill.
To be specific, the grill has a half-moon cooking surface and a multilevel design. The mix and max surfaces will help you cook many types of food in different styles and at different temperatures according to your needs.
- Divide and Conquer cooking system
- Half-moon and multilevel design
- Air-lifted hinge
- The grill is highly versatile, capable of performing many jobs at once
- The unit’s 2-tier cooking system will make sure that you can cook different types of food in one go
- The food cook in this grill will have outstanding flavors and textures
- The product is simple enough that it’s easy to assemble
- Easy to use and clean, even for beginners
- The grills offer easy and excellent temperature control
- The shipping process might slightly damage the grill
|Product Dimensions||22 x 28.5 x 33 inches|
|Item Weight||215 pounds|
|Cooking Areas||18 inches in diameter|
Chefood 13’ Ceramic Portable BBQ Charcoal Kamado Grill
(Best Small Size)
You’re a fan of Kamado grill, but all the products you’ve found so far are too large and chunky for you to take with you on your picnic or camping. Or perhaps you’re looking for a grill small enough for two or three people only.
Relatively lightweight when compared to most other grills, the Chefood Kamado grill has a small cooking surface of roughly around 13 inches. This size is the most ideal choice for a family of three or for a picnic trip.
Despite its small size, the product offers excellent heat insulation and retention capability thanks to its adjustable dual airflow dampers temperature control system. Due to this, the grill can cook food evenly on its surface and yield the best results.
Made from authentic ceramic, the Chefood BBQ Kamado Grill is highly durable. In addition to that, the grill’s porcelain-enameled cooking grid has been approved by the FDA. Therefore, you can rest assured that your food is in safe hand.
- Made from real ceramic
- Can work even in cold weather
- Dual damper system
- The grill offers excellent temperature control and heat retention thanks to its dual adjustable airflow dampers
- The grill is simple enough that you can assemble it without any assistance
- The product is relatively lightweight for maximum portability
- Highly durable and sturdy despite its lightweight construction
- Cleaning up the grill afterward can be quite a pain
|Product Dimensions||17.2 x 15.5 x 14.5 inches|
|Item Weight||46.7 pounds|
|Cooking Areas||13 inches in diameter|
Pit Boss Grills 71220 BBQ Ceramic Kamado Grill
(Best for Backyard Grill)
Do you plan to hold a grilling party right within your backyard? Why not get this ceramic grill from the renowned brand of Pit Boss Grills. Don’t worry; this fantastic grill is as durable as it is efficient.
The Pit Boss BBQ Kamado grill boasts a substantial ceramic body that can significantly improve the sturdiness and durability of the grill. Furthermore, the thick body of the grill promises excellent heat retention, thus reducing the amount of fuel needed.
What’s more, this ceramic grill boasts a cast iron top tamper that lets you control the airflow efficiently. Thanks to this, you can get the grill to the perfect temperature you want for your grilled food.
That’s not all, in addition to the spacious 22-inch diameter cooking space, the grill has dual-tier cooking grates for the extra cooking surface. This way, you will be able to cook a large amount of food in one go, thus reducing the cooking time.
- Heavy ceramic body for extra durability
- Top damper
- Bamboo side-shelves
- Dual tier cooking system
- The ceramic and cast iron construction makes the grill a highly sturdy and durable unit
- The grill has a thick body, which offers excellent heat retention
- Does not consume too many charcoals and wood chips
- Easy to assemble
- It might be a bit hard to get the hang of controlling temperature in the grill
|Product Dimensions||45.9 x 29.1 x 52 inches|
|Item Weight||178.6 pounds|
|Manufacturer||Pit Boss Grills|
|Cooking Areas||22 inches in diameter|
|Material||Ceramic, cast iron|
You can see how great the grill will look when it’s cooking your food with this video:
Kamado Joe KJ23RHI-A Classic Joe III Charcoal Kamado Grill
(Best High End)
If you have enough money to spare, then I’d recommend that you spend it on this top-notch Kamado grill from Kamado Joe. I can guarantee you that you will not be disappointed with what this grill has to offer.
Similar to its predecessor, the Classic Joe III has a generous cooking surface of up to 18 inches in diameter. Moreover, the multilevel and half-moon design of the grill’s surface will let you cook food in any style you need.
What’s more, the grill boasts an outstanding versatility. Offering a temperature range from 200 to 750 degrees Fahrenheit, the grill will let you smoke, sear, slow-cook, and even bake anything you want with record time.
Moreover, the Kamado Joe also boasts an excellent hyperbolic smoke chamber, which can seal in the smoke and moisture inside the grill. As a result, your food will have a seared texture on the exterior while still maintain that juicy and smoky goodness.
- Hyperbolic smoke chamber
- 3-tier cooking system
- Air-lifted hinge
- The grill is highly durable due to its sturdy hyperbolic construction
- Highly versatile and flexible thanks to its 3-tire cooking system
- It can yield professional-like results with the airtight chamber
- Easy to assemble and clean
- Provides excellent temperature control
- The shipping process might slightly damage the surface of the grill
|Product Dimensions||30 x 46.5 x 50.5 inches|
|Item Weight||232 pounds|
|Cooking Areas||18 inches in diameter|
In case you’re not sure if you should get the Classic III or the big Joe III, you can consult this video for professional recommendations:
Char-Griller E56720 Akorn Charcoal Kamado Grill
(Best for Meat)
Achieve perfection and master the art of grilling food with the Char-Griller Kamado Grill, which can guarantee to deliver moist, juicy, and smoky meat every single time. Therefore, with this grill, you will look just like a professional chef in everyone’s eyes.
What you’ll definitely like in this grill is that it has dampers on both the top and the bottom. Therefore, you can maintain and control the airflow for precise temperature control. The grill comes with a heat gauge so that you can monitor the temperature.
Boasting its well insulated triple-wall, the Kamado grill has an excellent heat retention ability, thus reducing the number of required coals. Sturdily constructed, the grill is made of 22 gauge stainless steel with cast iron cooking grates.
For those who like to always have cooking utensils within arm’s reach, the grill is equipped with two folding side shelves. The easy dump ash pan that is attached to the bottom of the grill will make for the quickest and most effortless cleanup.
- Warming rack included
- Insulated chamber
- Indexed damper
- Locking lid
- Easy dump ash pan
- Heat gauge
- The dump ash pan makes cleaning the grill virtually a breeze
- The insulated chamber has excellent heat retention ability
- The simple design of the product makes it exceedingly easy to assemble
- Made from high-quality materials for superb durability
- You can monitor and regulate temperature easily with the damper and heat gauge
- If you’re not careful, the bolts of the grill might melt off
|Product Dimensions||45.2 x 31.3 x 47.4 inches|
|Item Weight||89 pounds|
|Cooking Areas||314 square inches in primary cooking space|
133 square inches warming rack
|Material||22 gauge steel, powder coated steel, porcelain coated steel|
Grill Dome Infinity Series Charcoal Smoker Kamado Grill
(Best for Beginners)
A more affordable option for those with a tight budget, this extra large Kamado grill from Grill Dome boasts a heavy-duty construction.
Despite its large size, this grill can be ready within only 10 minutes. With a generous cooking surface of up to 380 square inches, the Grill Dome Infinity Kamado grill can be used to serve at least four people at once.
While many Kamado grills out there have heavy and stiff lids, this product from Grill Dome has an unrivaled Featherlite hinged system. Thanks to this, you can effortlessly lift up the lid of the grill to unload food or clean the grill.
Moreover, this grill has a decent temperature control range of 225 to more than 750 degrees Fahrenheit. Therefore, the product can barbecue, smoke, grill, sear with next to no problem. Also, the grill’s extra thick wall can promise excellent heat retention.
- Heavy-duty construction
- Featherlite hinged system
- 10 minutes wait time
- The grill can heat up quickly despite its large size
- The product can do many jobs at once, thus reducing the time needed to prepare your food
- Extra thick walls for optimal heat retention
- Effortless control over temperature and airflow
- The high-quality 304 stainless steel material makes the grill highly resistant against rust
- You can easily lift up the lid of the grill
- The grill is not too durable
|Product Dimensions||32 x 28 x 40 inches|
|Item Weight||280 pounds|
|Cooking Areas||380 square inches|
|Materials||Heavy-duty 304 stainless steel|
Primo 778 Extra-Large Oval Ceramic Charcoal Smoker Kamado Grill
If you’re cooking for a large group of people, then why not save yourself the trouble and get this extra large Kamado grill instead? With a cooking surface of 680 square inches in total, the Primo Smoker Kamado grill will be everything you need.
To boost the grill’s versatility in smoking and grilling food, the manufacturers of the grill has cleverly designed the product with a unique oval design. Furthermore, the product boasts reversible cooking grates so that you’ll have more cooking options.
Constructed from the highest quality ceramic and is coated with a protective, scratch-resistant porcelain glaze, the Primo Kamado grill will be amongst one of the most durable Kamado grills you can ever come across.
- Exclusive oval design
- Extra large cooking surface
- Made from the most premium-quality ceramic
- The grill makes an excellent choice for low and slow cooking
- Can serve a large group of people
- It has a tightly sealed chamber to lock in smoke and moisture
- It comes with reversible cooking grates for more flexibility
- You will not have trouble controlling the temperature of the grill
- Some people might find the grill hard to use at first
|Product Dimensions||28 x 21 x 27.5 inches|
|Item Weight||200 pounds|
|Cooking Areas||400 square inches in primary cooking space|
|Material||Premium-grade ceramic with a protective porcelain glaze|
Broil King 911470 Keg 5000 Kamado Grill
If you’re tired of constantly having to buy more charcoals for your grill, why not try something that can guarantee to use less than twice the usual amount of coals consumed by regular charcoal grills?
If that sounds promising to you, then I’d recommend the Keg 5000 Kamado Grill from Broil King. This product boasts a heavy-duty, airtight gasket with dampers on the top and the bottom of the grill, which will boost the grill heat retention ability.
Furthermore, this grill has a double insulated wall that will seal in the heat, smoke, and moisture in the grill’s chamber. Therefore, any food cooked in this grill will have an excellent texture will still retain that juicy goodness.
What’s more, this grill also comes with several accessories such as a swing-away rack, a removable ash pan, a mobility cart, as well as side shelves. Grilling cannot get any more convenient than this.
- Insulated double-wall
- Dampers on both the top and the bottom
- Removable ash pan
- Swing-a-way secondary rack
- The double-walled body of the grills makes for excellent heat retention
- Does not consume too many charcoals and wood chips
- The grill has a simple design for ease of assembling
- The ash pan makes cleaning a breeze
- The grill is durable and sturdy enough to last for years
- The temperature control of the grill is not very good
|Product Dimensions||41 x 27.5 x 47 inches|
|Item Weight||126 pounds|
|Cooking Areas||18.5 inches in diameter|
|Materials||Aluminum and cast iron|
Kamado Joe KJ23RH Classic I Charcoal Kamado Grill
If you’re a fan of the old grills, then I’m sure that the Classic I Kamado Grill from Kamado Joe will make an excellent choice for you. One of the earliest products from this brand, the Classic I is in no way inferior to its successors.
Similar to most grills from Kamado Joe, the Classic I boasts a Divide and Conquer cooking system, which will let your best and most powerful companion when it comes to grilling food.
While this product might not have an easy ash dump like its successors, this Kamado grill still boasts a simple yet efficient slide-out drawer that will collect all the ashes from the coals. Thanks to this, you will not have to disassemble the grill to clean it.
Additionally, you can easily control the temperature inside the Classic I Kamado grill with the tower top vent. In fact, you can adjust the grill’s temperature anywhere from 225 up to 750 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Divide and conquer cooking system
- Tower top vent for temperature control
- Slide-out drawer
- Thermometer included
- The grill is sturdily constructed, and therefore, has excellent durability
- The wide temperature range of the grills offers high versatility
- The grill can lock in the flavors, smoke, and moisture for better flavors
- Easy to assemble and clean
- The divide and conquer cooking system makes sure that you can prepare several types of food at a time
- Some people might find the grill a bit outdated
|Product Dimensions||46.5 x 23 x 48 inches|
|Item Weight||188 pounds|
Char-Broil Kamander Charcoal Kamado Grill
Impress your friends and family at the next grilling party with your restaurant-grade grilled food. How can you do that, you ask? It’s quite simple really, the first step to doing so is getting this superb Kamado grill from Char-Broil.
While it might not be the most outstanding amongst its competitors, the Kamander Kamado Grill still has one of the best quality that can rival even the more popular ones.
With its unique temperature control system, which includes an intake channel and a top vent, the Kamander grill will let you smoke, grill, sear, roast food however you want.
Furthermore, this product from Char-Broil also boasts a double-walled construction that will lock the heat inside the chamber. As a result, you will not have to constantly load more coals into the grills to retain the heat.
Because cleaning should never take longer than cooking, the grill is implemented with an ash pan that can be quickly removed from the bottom.
- A unique temperature control system
- Ash pan included
- Double-walled construction
- The grill offers quite many features for its price range
- The grill is sturdily built enough that it can last for years
- The wide temperature range of the grill lets it do many tasks
- Two cooking surfaces for better versatility
- The temperature control system is efficient and easy to use
- You might need to buy a cover to shelter the grill when it’s not in use
|Product Dimensions||27.1 x 43.8 x 45.8 inches|
|Item Weight||117.5 pounds|
|Cooking Areas||327 square inches in primary cooking space|
142 square inches in a secondary cooking area
A Guide to Buying the Best Kamado Grill in 2020
Whether you’re an amateur cook or a professional chef, there’s no doubt that you would want to get the best Kamado grill out there. It’s also completely understandable that you’d want to know the tips to get the best Kamado grill.
So to help you in this department, here are some factors that you need to take into consideration before buying a Kamado grill.
The Shape of the Grill
When it comes to shape, Kamado grills are usually divided into two main types: round-shaped Kamado grills and oval-shaped ones. Due to their better performance, oval-shaped Kamado grills tend to be more popular.
Thanks to its overall shape, oval Kamado grills boast a higher efficiency. Because they are better at keeping the circulation of smoke and heat, oval Kamado grills can give a better taste to the food you’re cooking.
What’s more, oval-shaped Kamado grills will allow you to access the food more easily without having the heat disturbing you.
The Cooking Areas
The cooking area is one of the key features which will determine whether you’ll be comfortable using the grill. Therefore, make sure that the grill you’re intending to buy has ample space so that you can sufficiently cook enough servings in one go.
If you’re only cooking for two people, then the size of the Kamado grill should be around 9 or 10 inches in diameters.
However, if you’re planning to use the grill for parties or big gatherings, then aim for something bigger. Ideally, you should choose a grill with 18-inch diameters or larger.
The Size of the Grill
When it comes to Kamado grills’ size, you should pay attention to the distance from the cooking area to the top of the lid.
Usually, you’ll want a grill with a larger distance because that would mean a larger amount of smoke is kept inside the grill while it’s cooking. More smoke usually means that your food has a better earthy and smoky flavor.
However, if you’re not a fan of food with a noticeable smoky flavor, then you should choose a grill with a shorter distance from the cooking area to the top of the lid.
The size of the grill can also determine how easy it will be for you to store the grill away after use. Therefore, if you feel that your house doesn’t have enough space to store a large grill, be sure to choose one of a smaller size.
The Materials of the Grill
While it’s true that the majority of Kamado grills are made of ceramic, it’s still preferable that you pay attention to the overall materials of the grill you’re intending to buy.
The materials that you’d want your Kamado grills to made of are ceramic, steel, cast iron, and aluminum.
Many Kamado grill manufacturers tend to incorporate some additional features to their products for the sake of convenience.
Therefore, you can look for a specific feature in a Kamado grill if you wish to. For instance, you can choose a Kamado grill with a rolling cart for better portability.
If you always want to have cooking equipment and condiments within arm’s reach, you should look for Kamado grills with side shelves or extra racks.
As I have mentioned before, because there are so many types of grills, it can be quite confusing if you’re only beginning to get used to Kamado grills. Therefore, I will help you with some of the most common questions you might have about a Kamado.
Kamado Grill – A Using Guide
Can You Use Regular Charcoal in a Kamado Grill?
If you want the short answer, then I’ll tell you that “Yes, regular charcoal can be used in a Kamado Grill.”
However, if you have time to stick around for the long answer, I will analyze how regular charcoals usually aren’t the best choice for a typical Kamado grill.
To understand why regular charcoals are not the best fuel materials for Kamado grill, first you need to understand their characteristics.
Regular charcoals, more commonly known as charcoal briquettes, are essentially a combination of small shards of wood, wood dust, and fillers. It is for this reason that regular charcoals tend to produce a lot of ash.
Due to the exceedingly large amount of ash regular charcoals can produce, they are highly likely to hinder the flow of air. In some worst case scenario, the amount of ash produced by charcoal briquettes can even extinguish the fire in the grill.
Therefore, the best type of charcoal for a Kamado grill is lump charcoals.
Can You Burn Wood in a Kamado Grill?
Because wood has a much lower burning temperature than coals, you can burn wood in your Kamado grill. However, you should cut the wood into manageable sizes so that they are not too chunky or too small that they will block airflow.
Nevertheless, completely replace lump charcoals with wood is probably not a good idea. One reason for this is small pieces of firework are usually not sufficient enough to sustain the grill.
Furthermore, it will be quite challenging to control the temperature of the grill if you’re using woods as a fuel source. It’s also worth mentioning that wood chips turn to burn faster than charcoals, so you’ll have to refill the grill with wood chips constantly.
To cut a long story short, you can use wood in a Kamado grill. However, don’t substitute charcoals with any type of wood because it will not be sufficient enough.
My Top Pick
With everything taken into careful consideration, I strongly believe that it’s hard to top the Kamado Joe KJ23RHC Classic II Charcoal Kamado Grill, which is affordable, user-friendly, highly versatile, durable, and highly efficient.
With all of that being said, I also believe that each of the products I’ve recommended above is worth a consideration. I sure hope that you’ve been able to identify the product you need and will be happy with your purchase.
Is there anything you’d like to ask me? Is there anything you’d want to share with me and your fellow readers? Feel free to comment in the section below.